Protect Your Rights

Clinton, Tennessee Legal Blog

When Clinton area parents decide to separate or divorce they often have many things they need to figure out. The court may order the noncustodial parent to pay child support. These payments are for a child’s basic needs along with education and health care costs. That non-custodial parent may wonder how long they will have to pay child support.

In Tennessee, child support is paid until the child turns 18 or graduates from high school, whichever happens second. This is the age of majority where the individual is no longer considered a minor. Once this has occurred, a parent will need to file a petition in court to terminate child support payments.

Reasons for child support modification

While a parent is paying child support they may want the order modified for a number of different reasons. These include:

  • There is a “significant variance” between the original amount of support and the proposed amount of child support that would be paid under a modified order. This significant variance is at least 15%.
  • Income significantly decreases
  • Child becomes disabled
  • Child moves out (or back in)
  • Change in health insurance expenses
  • One of the parents has another child
  • Child care costs increase

A legal professional who is skilled in family law can help their client with their child support questions. They understand that child support is necessary for the best interests of the child but sometimes these orders need to be modified due to extenuating circumstances. An attorney understands their client needs legal guidance to help them obtain a favorable support agreement.